Athens in Clarke County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
University of Georgia
The first president, and author of the school's charter, Abraham Baldwin, resigned when the doors opened, and was succeeded by Josiah Meigs. The University first began to thrive under Moses Waddel, who became president in 1819. Alonzo Church was president in 1829 - 1859.
During the War of Southern Independence, most of the students entered the Confederate Army. The University closed its doors in 1864, and did not open again until January 1866. After the war, many Confederate veterans became students.
Famous pre-war professors were John and Joseph LeConte and Charles F. McCay, while famous students were Robert Toombs, Alexander H. Stephens, Howell Cobb, and Crawford W. Long.
Plans for a modern univeristy were first developed by Walter B. Hill and realized under Harmon W. Caldwell. The best known of the post-war presidents (now chancellors) was David C. Barrow. The builder of the modern plant was Chancellor Steadman V. Sanford.
Erected 1991 by Georgia Historic Marker. (Marker Number 029-1.)
Marker series. Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 57.453′ N, 83° 22.518′ W. Marker is in Athens, Georgia, in Clarke County. Marker is at the intersection of East Broad Street and College Avenue, on the right when traveling east on East Broad Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Athens GA 30601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Holmes/Hunter Academic Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Red and Black (within shouting distance of this marker); Robert Toombs Oak (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Herty Field (about 500 feet away); The Stoneman Raid (about 600 feet away); Abraham Baldwin (about 700 feet away); First Flight in Georgia (about 700 feet away); Old College (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
Categories. • Education • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 12, 2009, by R. E. Smith of Nashville, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 843 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 12, 2009, by R. E. Smith of Nashville, Tennessee. 3. submitted on May 31, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.