Pomfret in Windham County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
On Old Windhma Road stands the Abington Meeting House (1751), the oldest Connecticut church in continuous use The Pomfret Public Library is the successor to the oldest such society in eastern Connecticut and the Social Library of Abington (1813) is the oldest active library formed by women in America.
The Pomfret Manufacturing Company (1806) located along the Quinebaug River in a section that is now part of Putnam, was the first large cotton textile mill in the State. Among one-time residents of Pomfret are Israel Putnam, a major general in the Revolutionary War; James A. McNeill Whistler, artist; and Louise Chandler Moutlon and Robert Hillyer, poets.
Erected 1979 by the Town of Pomfret, the Pomfret Historical Society, and the Connecticut Historical Commission.
Location. 41° 51.557′ N, 71° 59.882′ W. Marker is in Pomfret, Connecticut, in Windham County. Marker is on U.S. 44 1.6 miles west of Connecticut Route 101. Touch for map
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Abington Congregational Meeting House (approx. half a mile away); Abington Meeting House (approx. half a mile away); Putnam and The Wolf (approx. 1.4 miles away); Putnam Wolf Den (approx. 1.7 miles away); Clark Memorial Chapel (approx. 2½ miles away); Israel Putnam's First Home (approx. 3.1 miles away); Eastford (approx. 5.1 miles away); Eastford Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pomfret.
Also see . . . Pomfret, Windham County, Connecticut History. (Submitted on July 11, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 11, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,766 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 11, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.