Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marietta in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Cobb County

 
 
Cobb County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Cruce, March 10, 2007
1. Cobb County Marker
Inscription.
Created December 3, 1832, and named for Judge Thomas W. Cobb, a former U.S. Senator, Marietta was named for his wife.

Fertile lands gave impetus to farming; ample water power encouraged industries. People from further south sought Marietta as a summer resort due to delightful climate and society.

Cobb County sacrificed much for the Southern Confederacy; ravaged by war, it fought slowly upward through reconstruction. In recent years industry has brought wealth and growth to the area.
 
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Comission. (Marker Number 033-37.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 57.149′ N, 84° 32.982′ W. Marker is in Marietta, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is on South Park Square NE east of West Park Square NE, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marietta GA 30060, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Alexander Stephens Clay (within shouting distance of this marker); UDC and Kennesaw House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Kennesaw House
Cobb County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Cruce, March 10, 2007
2. Cobb County Marker
(about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Kennesaw House (about 400 feet away); 1916 Glover Machine Works Locomotive (about 500 feet away); Robert Edward Flournoy, Jr. (about 700 feet away); Cherokee Treaty (about 700 feet away); Judge Debra Halpern Bernes (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marietta.
 
Also see . . .
1. Marietta Square (Glover Park). Glover Park was once home to the Cobb County Courthouse. It has a rich heritage and many things to see and do. Marietta Square is the physical and emotional center of Marietta, Georgia. (Submitted on February 5, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.) 

2. "The General". Why "The General" captures the heart and soul of Civil War... (Submitted on February 5, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. EducationPolitical Subdivisions
 
"The General" model train in Glover Park image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, August 1, 2007
3. "The General" model train in Glover Park
Glover Park and Cobb County Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, July 2, 2018
4. Glover Park and Cobb County Marker
This view is from the corner of West and South Park Square, with the marker to the right above a red car.
The fountain of Glover Park image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, July 2, 2018
5. The fountain of Glover Park
An additional view of Glover Park and its gazebo image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, July 2, 2018
6. An additional view of Glover Park and its gazebo
An additional marker for the First Cobb County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, July 2, 2018
7. An additional marker for the First Cobb County Courthouse
This additional marker is at the base of the Cobb County Marker. It reads:

First Cobb County Courthouse built of logs at this site in 1834 in Marietta, the county seat. This plaque was removed from the Cobb Co. Court House that served the people for 97 yrs. It was rebuilt in 1872 by citizens donations after being burned by Sherman in 1864. The courthouse stood on the corner of Washington Avenue and the Marietta Square until demolition in 1969. This plaque reerected in the Bicentennial Year by the Marietta Junior Woman’s Club
The Glover Park Memorial Bell image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, July 2, 2018
8. The Glover Park Memorial Bell
The small marker reads:

Glover Park
To commemorate the memory of
John Heyward Glover
First Mayor of Marietta
1852
Who exchanged Court House
site for this park and donated
it to the city of Marietta
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 12, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 14, 2007, by Michael Cruce of Marietta, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,065 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 14, 2007, by Michael Cruce of Marietta, Georgia.   3. submitted on February 5, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   4, 5, 6. submitted on July 5, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.   7, 8. submitted on July 12, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement