Sampit in Georgetown County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Sampit Methodist Church
The present sanctuary, built by the time the congregation acquired this site in 1887, was originally a frame church. It was extensively renovated in 1859–60 and completely covered in brick in 1975–76. Three members of the church later became ministers: Revs. C. D. Huggins, Jack D. Watts, and John Paul Watts, Sr. Sampit is also the mother church of Oak Grove Methodist Church, founded in 1890.
Erected 2003 by the congregation. (Marker Number 22-56.)
Location. 33° 21.861′ N, 79° 27.48′ W. Marker is in Sampit, South Carolina, in Georgetown County. Marker is on Saints Delight Road (Alternate U.S. 17) south of Highmarket Street / Georgetown Highway (U.S. 521), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1125 Saints Delight Road, Georgetown SC 29440, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Skirmish at Sampit Bridge (a few steps from this marker); Dissenter Meeting House and Cemetery (approx. 8.1 miles away); General Arthur M. Manigault (approx. 8.3 miles away); Sergeant McDonald (approx. 8.5 miles away); 1st Battalion 178th Field Artillery (approx. 8.5 miles away); Gabriel Marion (approx. 8.6 miles away); Georgetown County National Guard Memorial (approx. 8.8 miles away); Kaminski House Museum (approx. 9.9 miles away).
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 14, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 985 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 14, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.