Jekyll Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Evolution of Elegance
—Jekyll Island —
The Executive Committee hired architect Charles Alexander to design the Clubhouse. Alexander designed the Clubhouse in a Queen Anne style that complemented the natural beauty of the island and emphasized the rustic simplicity that the Jekyll Island Club embraced. It was completed for (what was considered) the modest price of $45,000.
The Clubhouse was by no means ostentatious in comparison to the Clubs in the North such as the Union Club. The well-trained staff met every comfort of Club members in the 60 guest rooms, reading room, card room, parlor, or billiard room of the rustic Clubhouse here on Jekyll Island.
The great success of the Club resulted in a need for an expansion to the Clubhouse in 1897. Charles Alling Gifford directed these additions that included enlarging the dining room, billiard wing, barbershop and toilet room, two new stairways, and several extra baths. Gifford supervised this project while
Horace W.S. Cleveland
Horace W.S. Cleveland knew the attributes of the island upon his arrival to Jekyll Island in 1886 as he began to develop a landscape plan for the Jekyll Island Club. He guided the club into choosing the ideal location for the Clubhouse, and recommended a layout for expansion of the Club, including plots for members to construct cottages.
Cleveland's philosophy of simplicity and appreciation for the natural landscape was clearly visible in his recommendations to the Jekyll Island Club. He suggested having roads flow around established trees, and used plants that were native to the area. Cleveland believed these recommendations would promote a more comfortable and community-oriented setting but would retain the spirit of a wild paradise.
Erected by Friends of Historic Jekyll Island Inc., Jekyll Island Museum.
Location. 31° 3.538′ N, 81° 25.33′ W. Marker is in Jekyll Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Pier Road and Riverview Drive, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jekyll Island GA 31527, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Clubhouse (within Fairbank Cottage Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Men of Means (within shouting distance of this marker); Jekyll Island Club Wharf (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Arriving on This Island (about 400 feet away); Up In Smoke (about 400 feet away); First Transcontinental Call (about 400 feet away); Morgan Tennis Court (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jekyll Island.
Also see . . . The Jekyll Island Club. an exclusive limited membership consisting of many of the world's wealthiest families at the time, most notably the Morgans, Rockefellers, and Vanderbilts. The club lasted 54 years, closing at the end of the 1942 season due to complications from World War II. (Submitted on March 22, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Landmarks • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 22, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 815 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 22, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.