Sacramento in Sacramento County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
A. J. Stevens Monument
[Front of Monument:]
[Inscription on West Side of Monument:]
[Inscription on Back of Monument:]
Erected 1889 by His Co-Workers, November 28, 1889.
Location. 38° 34.841′ N, 121° 29.644′ W. Marker is in Sacramento, California, in Sacramento County. Marker can be reached from "J" Street. Touch for map. Marker is located at the Cesar Chavez Plaza facing “J” Street between 9th and 10th Streets. Marker is in this post office area: Sacramento CA 95814, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old City Plaza (within shouting distance of Young America Engine Co. No. 6 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tony's Corner (about 500 feet away); Sa’ Cumn’e Plaza (about 500 feet away); Pioneer Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sacramento Pioneers Society (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of First and Second State Capitals at Sacramento (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jesse M. Unruh State Office Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sacramento.
Also see . . .
1. Andrew Jackson “A.J” Stevens (1833-1888) – Builder of Locomotives. A.J. Stevens was born in Vermont Sep. 14, 1833. In 1869 he was hired by Leland Stanford, President of Central Pacific (parent organization of Southern Pacific) as Master Mechanic. He was responsible for many locomotive inventions until his death in 1888. (Submitted on March 26, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
2. Andrew J. Stevens Biography. A biography transcribed by Vicky Walker from the publication An Illustrated History of Sacramento County, Pages 797-798, Published (Submitted on March 26, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
1. The Monument and Dedication
A.J. Stevens was the master mechanic for the Southern Pacific Railroad. The sculpture was erected by his coworkers. An estimated twelve thousand attended the dedication ceremony, with Governor Waterman and Mayor Gregory in attendance. - 1889.
The sculpture was done by Sculptor Albert Weinert (1863-1948), and dedicated on November 28, 1889. It is owned and maintained by the City of Sacramento, City Parks and Recreation.
— Submitted March 26, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Persons • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 26, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,509 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on March 26, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.