Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Merion Village was named for the Nathaniel Merion family, who in 1809 settled what is now the South Side of Columbus on 1800 acres of the Refugee Lands. Entrepreneur William Merion operated “Merion's Landing” in the 1830s to capitalize on the canal trade from the Columbus Feeder Canal. This area saw a large influx of German immigrants as the South Side industrialized in the mid-nineteenth century. Later, many Irish, Italian, and eastern European immigrants who worked in the local steel mills and foundries made their homes here.
Many of the homes in Merion Village date from an early-1900s building boom as the “Steelton” area to the south became a manufacturing center. Homes, churches, schools, and stores quickly rose on farmland and other undeveloped land between the mills and the near South Side. Streetcars ran down Parsons Avenue and Fourth Street.
This park is the former site of the Moeller Homestead, which stood adjacent to Moeller's Elevator Works factory, both now demolished. The Moeller family were early South Side residents. The City of Columbus dedicated Moeller Park in 1993.
Erected 2001 by The Merion Village Association, The City of Columbus, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 35-25.)
Marker series. Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 56.185′ N, 82° 59.272′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of Hanford Street and Bruck Street, on the right when traveling east on Hanford Street. Touch for map. Marker is in Moeller Park. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus OH 43206, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Schmidt's Sausage Haus und Restaurant (approx. 0.2 miles away); Southwood Elementary School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Franklin County Soldiers of the Mexican War (approx. 0.4 miles away); Gold Star Mothers (approx. 0.4 miles away); Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller (approx. half a mile away); Schiller Park (approx. 0.6 miles away); Site of First Ohio State Home Football Game / The Ohio State University First Football Team 1890 (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. Mary Church (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 27, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 880 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 27, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.