Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Homewood

 
 
Homewood Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, September 9, 2007
1. Homewood Marker
Inscription. Property purchased in 1800 by Charles Carroll, signer of the Declaration of Independence, as a wedding present for his only son, Charles and bride Harriett Chew of Philadelphia. The younger Charles designed and oversaw the building of the outstanding Federal style country house, completed in 1805. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The 130 acre farm originally has a dozen outbuildings.
 
Erected by Maryland Historical Trust & Maryland State Highway Administration.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Signers of the Declaration of Independence marker series.
 
Location. 39° 19.769′ N, 76° 37.076′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is at the intersection of Charles Street (Maryland Route 139) and Greenway, on the right when traveling south on Charles Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baltimore MD 21218, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Homewood (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Keyser Quadrangle (about 500 feet away); The Sheridan Libraries (about 500 feet away); Church Home and Hospital
Homewood image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, September 9, 2007
2. Homewood
Building is now a part of Johns Hopkins University.
(approx. ¼ mile away); Confederate Women’s Monument (was approx. ¼ mile away but has been reported permanently removed. ); World War I Peace Cross Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Clover Hill (approx. ¼ mile away); Spring House or Dairy - c. 1812 (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
 
Also see . . .  Johns Hopkins University, Homewood Campus. Homewood is the main campus for Krieger School of Arts and Sciences, Whiting School of Engineering, Carey Business School, and School of Education. (Submitted on April 26, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.) 
 
Additional comments.
1. Landmark status
Homewood was designated a National Historic Landmark on November 11, 1971.
    — Submitted March 3, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.

 
Additional keywords. Johns Hopkins University.
 
Categories. EducationNotable BuildingsNotable PersonsPatriots & Patriotism
 
Nearby entrance to Johns Hopkins University image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, April 25, 2009
3. Nearby entrance to Johns Hopkins University
John Hopkins, 1795 - 1873 image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, April 25, 2009
4. John Hopkins, 1795 - 1873
- monument on N. Charles Street, one half block north of the Homewood Marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 9, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,083 times since then and 45 times this year. Last updated on April 26, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 9, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   3, 4. submitted on April 26, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement