Indianapolis in Marion County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Holy Rosary - Danish Church Historic District
Area became Indiana’s largest continuously occupied Italian neighborhood. Sicilians opened nearby produce businesses. District, containing mainly working-class cottages, includes Trinity Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church built 1872, Horace Mann Public School built 1873, and Holy Rosary Catholic Church built 1911–1925. District listed in National Register of Historic Places 1986.
Erected 2000 by Indiana Historical Bureau and Italian Heritage Society of Indiana. (Marker Number 49.2000.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 39° 45.473′ N, 86° 8.958′ W. Marker is in Indianapolis, Indiana, in Marion County. Marker is at the intersection of South East Street and South Stevens Street on South East Street. Touch for map. The marker is on the SE corner next to the parking lot for Holy Rosary Catholic Church (entrance is located at 520 Stevens
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 28th Regiment USCT ( approx. ¼ mile away); Calvin Fletcher ( approx. ¼ mile away); John Muir in Indianapolis ( approx. 0.6 miles away); Market Street Temple ( approx. 0.7 miles away); Bates-Hendricks House ( approx. ¾ mile away); “Ladies and Gentlemen, Elvis Has Left the Building” ( approx. ¾ mile away); Bowen-Merrill Fire / Indianapolis Fire Department ( approx. 0.8 miles away); Griffith Block ( approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Indianapolis.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 22, 2007, by M. Bowyer of Indianapolis, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,194 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 22, 2007, by M. Bowyer of Indianapolis, Indiana. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.