Gilroy in Santa Clara County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Rancho San Ysidro / San Ysidro School
With brothers-in-law Quintin Ortega and Julian Cantua, Gilroy made soap near San Felipe Lake, which he traded along with onions and flour from his gristmill to Thomas Larkin of Monterey. Settlers were drawn to Rancho San Ysidro because of the hospitality of the Ortega and Gilroy families. Captain John C. Fremont and his troops passed by here on their way south in November 1846. They appropriated most of Gilroy's horses and mules to support the American acquisition of California. San Ysidro
John Gilroy lived here under the flags of Spain, Mexico, and the United States. He served as an auxiliary alcalde and later as justice of the peace. When the town was incorporated in 1868, citizens honored Gilroy by naming their town after him. The growth of the community of San Ysidro shifted two miles west. the following year with the completion of the railroad amd the demise of John Gilroy. Today, descendents of John Gilroy continue his legacy by residing in "Old Gilroy," also known as San Ysidro.
Erected by Mountain Charlie Chapter 1850 E Clampus Vitus & Observatory Parlor 177 Native Sons of The Golden West
The San Ysidro School remained as an independent school district for over 100 years, and was combined with the Gilroy Unified School District in July of 1966. San Ysidro School, together with the giant sycamore tree that shades the front playground, has survived as a cornerstone of education for the children of Gilroy’s past, present, and future.
Gilroy Unified School District
Mountain Charlie Chapter No. 1850
E Clampus Vitus
"Right Wrongs Nobody"
Erected 2004 by Mountain Charlie Chapter 1850 E Clampus Vitus, Observatory Parlor 177 Native Sons of The Golden West & Gilroy Unified School District.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus, and the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 37° 0.032′ N, 121° 31.354′ W. Marker is in Gilroy, California, in Santa Clara County. Marker is on Pacheco Pass Highway (State Highway 152) 1.8 miles east of State Highway 101, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2220 Pacheco Pass Highway, Gilroy CA 95020, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Butterfield Overland Stage (approx. 2½ miles away); Old City Hall (approx. 2.6 miles away); “Alcalde” (approx. 2.6 miles away); Gilroy Carnegie Library (approx. 2.8 miles away); Gilroy (approx. 3.4 miles away); Franklin Family Ranch (approx. 5 miles away); Rucker School Historical Site 1894 (approx. 5.1 miles away); Coyote Lake – Harvey Bear Ranch County Park (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gilroy.
Also see . . .
1. Clampers In the News. A reprint of an article written by Lori Stuenkel, Gilroy Dispatch:
The school property sold and the new owners worked very closely with the Mountain Charlie Chapter of the EVC and several other organizations to install these markers on the school site. (Submitted on April 30, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
2. “Plat of Rancho San Ysidro Confirmed to John Gilroy". University of California documents detailing information of the confirmation of the land grant to John Gilroy. (Submitted on April 30, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
3. “Plat of Rancho San Ysidro Confirmed to Quintin Ortega" (Submitted on April 30, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
1. The Mountain Charlie Chapter No. 1850 thank the people who made this possible:
These monuments were erected as a tribute to today's community of Gilroy and to the earlier Rancho San Ysidro and today's decendants of the Ortega family, to the later community of San Ysidro, and today's
descendants of the John Gilroy family, to the Clan Cameron, and lastly to all the early seaman who left their ships to settle and raise families in Alta California.
Special thanks to all those whose support, hard work, and dedication helped make this plaque possible, including:
Bill Clark, Historian, ECV1850.
Noble Grand Humbug Matt Keahey and all the Graybeards of ECV1850.
Connie Rogers, Pres. Gilroy Historical Society.
James Rogers, Board Member, Gilroy Unified School District.
Doug Rose, Pres. NSGW, Observatory Parlor No.177.
Rev. Steven White, Trustee, Anchorpoint Christian School.
— Submitted April 30, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Categories. • Education • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 30, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 2,015 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 30, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.