Near Wickliffe in Ballard County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
The Prince of the French Explorers
Commissioned by Louis XIV of France, the Sieur Robert de LaSalle, sweeping down the Mississippi with his flotilla of canoes, stopped in 1682 at this place, in his quest for the mouth of the Mississippi and an outlet for the French fur trade. This river, called Ohio by the Iroquois and Quabache (Wabash) by the Algonquins, was proclaimed by LaSalle, April 9, 1682, to be the northern watershed of the New Province of Louisiana of the French Colonial Empire.
Accompanied by Pere Jacques Marquette, the Sieur Louis Joliet, commissioned by the French Government at Quebec to explore the Mississippi River, stopped on this bank in 1673, according to the "Jesuit Relations" by Thevenot. They were feasted by the Indians on buffalo meat, bear's grease and white plums.
Erected 1940 by Kentucky Historical Society. (Marker Number 46.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 36° 58.204′ N, 89° 5.609′ W. Marker is near Wickliffe, Kentucky, in Ballard Touch for map. Located in front of Wickliffe Mounds State Historic Site. Marker is in this post office area: Wickliffe KY 42087, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. King Mounds (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ceremonial Mound (about 400 feet away); Welcome to Wickliffe Mounds (about 400 feet away); Burial Mound (about 600 feet away); County Named, 1842 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lewis & Clark at Old Fort Jefferson (approx. 0.9 miles away); Fort Jefferson (approx. one mile away); Union Supply Base (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wickliffe.
Also see . . .
1. Wickliffe Mounds State Historic Site. (Submitted on May 2, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. La Salle. Wikipedia entry detailing the life and explorations of LaSalle. (Submitted on May 2, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Exploration •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 2, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,482 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 2, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.