Harpers Ferry in Jefferson County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
In 1775, town founder Robert Harper chose this hillside for his family home because it lay safely above the flood line, commanded a spectacular view, and offered unlimited native stone for building. Harper never resided here, however, because he died before the building's completion.
The Harper House is the oldest surviving structure in Harpers Ferry. Now restored as an 1850's tenant house, it represents crowded conditions and lack of housing here during the town's industrial heyday.
Location. 39° 19.378′ N, 77° 43.851′ W. Marker is in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Church Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located in the Lower Town section of Harpers Ferry National Historic Site, across the street from the St. Peter's Roman Church. Marker is in this post office area: Harpers Ferry WV 25425, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Harper House Tavern (here, next to this marker); Springhouses and Root Cellars (here, next to this marker); Welcome to St. Peterís Roman Catholic Church St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church (a few steps from this marker); Sweets for Harpers Ferry (within shouting distance of this marker); Casualty of War (within shouting distance of this marker); Shenandoah Street about 1880 (within shouting distance of this marker); High Street in 1886 (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harpers Ferry.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 8, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 839 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 8, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.