Brazil in Clay County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Clay County (Indiana) Courthouse
County formed by Indiana General
Assembly 1825; named for
national statesman Henry Clay.
First county seat at Bowling
Green; had three courthouses: first
built 1827 was two-story log
structure; second and third built
1839-1840 and 1852-1853 were
two-story brick. County seat
moved to Brazil 1877 after
fourth courthouse completed there
This fifth courthouse designed by
John W. Gaddis of Vincennes in
Classical Revival Style. Built 1912-
1914 of limestone; stained-glass
skylight in central rotunda. Interior
features marble wainscoting,
granite columns, inlaid tile floors.
Skylight restored, four tower
clocks installed 1986. Listed in
National Register of Historic
Erected 2001 by Indiana Historical Bureau, Clay County Commissioners, & Clay County Historical Society, Inc. (Marker Number 11.2001.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 39° 31.489′ N, 87° 7.178′ W. Marker is in Brazil, Indiana, in Clay County. Marker is on East National Avenue west of South Harrison Street, on Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 609 East National Avenue, Brazil IN 47834, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Memorial Building (a few steps from this marker); Civil War Cannons Rededicated - Restoration (within shouting distance of this marker); Vietnam War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); 10 O'Clock Treaty Line (approx. 6.4 miles away); 10 O'Clock Line (approx. 9.2 miles away); Mansfield circa 1820 (approx. 10½ miles away); Roseville (approx. 12.8 miles away).
Also see . . . Virtual Tour ( Courtesy - - Indiana Government web page). (Submitted on February 13, 2013, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
Additional keywords. Designed by John W. Gaddis
Categories. • Government • Landmarks • Notable Buildings • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 12, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,565 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on May 12, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.