Riverdale in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The school opened in September 1895 with Elizabeth McGee in the role of both teacher and principal for about 40 students. One youngster described Mrs. McGee as a short elderly woman who maintained order in the classroom with a memorable glare. The school grew so rapidly that an assistant teacher was hired in 1898. By 1899, an addition was built on the original school and an adjecent house was used as an annex. The school was used until 1919 when students moved to a larger building constructed at the corner of Riverdale and Taylor Roads, which is the site of the Riverdale Elementary School today. The original school was not used for any other purpose and was removed in the 1920s.
Location. 38° 57.669′ N, 76° 55.872′ W. Marker is in Riverdale Touch for map. Marker is on the grounds of Riversdale Mansion, near the gateposts. Riverdale Road is parallel to East-West Highway (State Route 410). Taylor Road has an intersection with East-West Highway two blocks north of Riverdale Road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4811 Riverdale Road, Riverdale MD 20737, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Riverdale Park (within shouting distance of this marker); The Riversdale Dependency (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Signs of War (about 400 feet away); Welcome to Riversdale (about 400 feet away); This Demiculverin (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Riverdale.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 21, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,498 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on March 21, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 30, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.