White Sulphur Springs in Greenbrier County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Large Federal fish hatcheries are located here. A mile east on Howard's Creek the armies of North and South fought in 1863. At "Oakhurst" three miles north the first golf club in America was organized in 1884.
Twelve Presidents, from "Old Hickory" Jackson to Woodrow Wilson, have been among the noted guests at the mineral springs where for nearly tow centuries world society has made rendezvous. Shrine to General Robert E. Lee.
Location. 37° 47.186′ N, 80° 18.295′ W. Marker is in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia, in Greenbrier County. Marker is on U.S. 60, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is opposite the entrance to The Greenbrier. Marker is in this post office area: White Sulphur Springs WV 24986, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kate's Mountain (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Greenbrier Clinic and Project Greek Island (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Old White (approx. ¼ mile away); President's Cottage (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Springhouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also The Springhouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Tennis and the Outdoor Swimming Pool (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dry Creek Battle (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in White Sulphur Springs.
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 25, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,174 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 25, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.