Near Centre Hall in Centre County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1947 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Location. 40° 50.131′ N, 77° 40.364′ W. Marker is near Centre Hall, Pennsylvania, in Centre County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Fort Road (State Highway 144) and Earlystown Road (State Highway 45), on the right when traveling north on Old Fort Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Centre Hall PA 16828, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Legend of Penn's Cave (approx. 4˝ miles away); Penn's Cave Hotel (approx. 4.6 miles away); Bellefonte Air Mail Field (approx. 7.1 miles away); 109th Machine Gun Battalion (approx. 7.4 miles away); 108th Machine Gun Battalion (approx. 7.4 miles away); 103rd Medical Battalion and Regiment (approx. 7.4 miles away); Honoring the 28th (approx. 7.4 miles away); 112th Infantry Regiment (approx. 7.4 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Brief Discussion of Potter's Fort. From Centre County History. (Submitted on June 1, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. James Potter at FindAGrave.com. (Submitted on July 14, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
1. Old Potter's Fort
The Report of the Commission to locate the site of the frontier forts of Pennsylvania published in 1916 stated the fort was located on a rise of ground on the south boundary of Centre Hall. As stated on the marker the fort was built in 1777. At least one action was fought nearby with Indian raiding parties. In 1916, the commission stated remains of the fort were seen near McCoy Tavern standing at the intersection of the highways.
— Submitted June 1, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 1, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,096 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 1, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.