Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Farmers and Exchange Bank
National Historic Landmark
This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America
Heritage Conservation and Recreation Service
United States Department of the Interior
Erected 1980 by Heritage Conservation and Recreation Service United States Department of the Interior.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 32° 46.665′ N, 79° 55.627′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on East Bay Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 141 East Bay Street, Charleston SC 29401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 19 State Street (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Old Exchange (about 300 feet away); Lee Cohen Harby (about 300 feet away); Elizabeth Timothy (about 300 feet away); One Broad Street (about 400 feet away); Convention on Ratification (about Second Bank of the United States (about 400 feet away); Walker, Evans & Cogswell Company (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
Regarding Farmers and Exchange Bank. The building was designed by Edward C. Jones and Francis D. Lee in 1853 and was completed in 1854. Both of these architects were Charlestonians. The Farmers’ and Exchange Bank is perhaps the only example of the Moorish picturesque style that evolved from one aspect of English Regency architecture. The building is stucco on brick and brownstone, with a flat roof, a two-story Moorish arcaded façade, and a high skylighted banking room with elaborate plaster decoration employing Spanish and Moorish motifs. The building has rounded horseshoe arches, reminiscent of Spanish architecture, on a façade made of pale Jersey and somber Connecticut brownstone, producing the striped effect which is typical of many Moorish structures. The rear wing has the conventional Classical Revival style. This building has long been recognized to be of utmost importance to American architecture and its design is though to have been influenced by illustrations in Washington Irving’s The Alhambra, a volume which was
Categories. • Landmarks • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 5, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 702 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 5, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.