Troy in Miami County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Engine Storage Location
The attic of this building was once used as a storage location for 300 OX-5 engines, similar to the engine pictured here on the right. Most of the engines were purchased from Gar Wood, a famous speedboat builder and racer from Detroit, Michigan. Legend states that Wood used the OX-5 engines to power his boats, some of which were used during prohibition to run illegal alcohol from Canada to the lower forty-eight. WACO also purchased engines from the Dodge brothers in Detroit.
Photograph captions include:
The WACO Model 4 was the first WACO built that incorporated the Curtiss OX-5 engine.
Photo taken around 1923 shows Clayton Brukner, man on the left, one of the founders of The WACO Aircraft Company barnstorming with a Curtiss JN-4D. “Jenny” airplanes were manufactured by the Curtiss Aeroplane and Motor Company of Buffalo, New York. Used as trainers during WWI, the “Jenny” airplanes and parts flooded the surplus market after the war and parts could be purchased very inexpensively. Two of the three WACO Aircraft Company founders, Clayton Brukner and Elwood “Sam” Junkin, worked for Curtiss during WWI and took advantage of the available parts when they started designing and building their own airplanes in 1921. The WACO Aircraft Company produced airplanes in Troy from 1923-1946.
Erected by The Troy Foundation, WACO Historical Society and City of Troy. (Marker Number 003.)
Location. 40° 2.378′ N, 84° 12.043′ W. Marker is in Troy, Ohio, in Miami County. Marker is at the intersection of Water Street and Mulberry Street, on the right when traveling east on Water Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 209 E. Water Street, Troy OH 45373, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Overfield Tavern (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Troy's Public Square & Third Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Courthouses and Jail (approx. ¼ mile away); Sheriff’s House and Jail (approx. ¼ mile away); LFWB&G Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Miami County War Savings Quota Plaque (approx. ¼ mile away); Rose Hill Cemetery 1849 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dilts Warehouse Plant No. 1 (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Troy.
Categories. • Air & Space • Industry & Commerce • War, World I •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 7, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 768 times since then and 15 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on June 7, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.