Scranton in Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Rahway Valley #15
During its active career on the Rahway Valley, #15 hauled freight between the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad at Summit, New Jersey, and the Lehigh Valley Railroad and the Central Railroad of New Jersey at New Orange.
In 1953, with their diesel engine down for repairs, the Rahway Valley fired up and worked #15 for the last time. Shortly thereafter, the company took delivery of a second diesel and the era of steam on the Rahway Valley ended.
"...the handsome Consolidation [#15] remained the master mechanic's pet and the favorite of most observers. Her charms were even audible, in a clean exhaust and a melodious whistle on which Engineer Frank Froat could sound either muted, low tones or higher, louder notes of urgency. The admirers of that whistle are many...its notes echoed among the mountains of Tennessee."
- Steam Locomotive magazine, 1959.
Erected by Steamtown Nataionl Historic Site - National Park Service.
Location. Touch for map. Located in the parking lot for Steamtown National Historic Site. Marker is in this post office area: Scranton PA 18503, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Reading #2124 (here, next to this marker); Grand Trunk Western #6039 (within shouting distance of this marker); Steamtown (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Union Pacific #4012 (about 500 feet away); Illinois Central #790 (about 500 feet away); Oil House Foundation (about 500 feet away); CNJ #5 Steam Derrick (about 500 feet away); Bullard Company #2 (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Scranton.
Also see . . . Rahway Valley #15. (PDF) Additional details from the Park Service site. (Submitted on June 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 768 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.