Scranton in Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
DL&W Coal Hoppers
With increases in coal production came the need to increase hauling capacity. In the decades before 1900, the DL&W progressed from six-ton-capacity jimmies, to twenty-ton wood drop-bottom cars, to forty- and fifty-ton steel hoppers for hauling coal. Steel hoppers, like those in front of you, were loaded from above and emptied through two bottom chutes. Some railroads used rotary dumpers, which turned the entire hopper car upside down to speed unloading.
Location. 41° 24.462′ N, 75° 40.252′ W. Marker is in Scranton, Pennsylvania, in Lackawanna County. Marker can be reached from Mechanic Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located on an overlook of the rail yard on the roundhouse at Steamtown National Historic Site. Marker is in this post office area: Scranton PA 18503, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Long Island Railroad #193 Rotary Snow Plow (here, next to this marker); Claremont & Concord Snow Plow #60 (here, next to this marker); New Haven Trap Rock Company #43 (within shouting distance of this marker); E.J. Lavino & Company #3 (within shouting distance of this marker); 1902 Roundhouse Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Turntable (within shouting distance of this marker); 1902 Roundhouse Section (within shouting distance of this marker); Tank Car (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Scranton.
More about this marker. The background illustration shows The DL&W's coal handling facility at Hoboken, New Jersey, about 1882. On the right side, The DL&W photographed its first forty-ton coal hopper loaded with coal.
Also see . . . Lackawanna Coal Hopper #81178. (PDF) Additional details a steel, bottom-dump coal hopper from the Park Service site. (Submitted on June 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 869 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.