Near Strasburg in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Pennsylvania Railroad No. 460
The introduction of steel passenger trains on the Pennsylvania at the turn of the twentieth century created a need for a more powerful passenger locomotive. While most roads had begun building larger Pacific (4-6-2) type locomotives for this service, Alfred Gibbs, the PRR's General Superintendent of Motive Power, Lines East, chose to refine the proven and reliable Atlantic.
Designed to be powerful yet lightweight, the E6 class earned a reputation as the ultimate development of their type. The design featured a greatly enlarged and superheated boiler atop a sturdy yet lightweight frame. From their debut in 1910 to the arrival of the first K4 Pacific's in 1920, the E6 fleet held down the premier passenger assignments east of Harrisburg, PA.
Bumped to secondary and commuter trains in the 1920's, the E6 fleet soldier on for many more decades. By the 1950's only 3 remained, including the last one built, No. 460. No. 460 finished her career in commuter service on the Atlantic Division and Seashore Lines, including hauling the last passenger train down the original route of the Camden and Amboy, before being retired in 1955. Immediately upon retirement, No. 460 was added to the PRR's historic collection, and officially added to the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania's roster in 1979.
Builder: Pennsylvania RR, Juniata, PA
Build Date: August, 1914
Retirement Date: October 1955
Number Built: 83
Driving Wheel Diameter: 81 in.
Tractive Effort: 31,275 lbs.
Fuel Capacity: Coal: 16 tons, Water: 7,150 gal.
Boiler Pressure: 205 psi.
PHMC Catalogue No. RR79.40.4
*Listed on the National Register of Historic Places *
The Lindberg Special
No. 460's most famous assignment came on June 11, 1927, racing newsreel footage of a Presidential reception
(Banner at Bottom):
In 1927, No. 460 raced an airplane from Washington, D.C. to New York, hauling newsreel footage of Charles Lindberg's Presidential reception.
Erected by Pennsylvania Railroad Museum.
Location. 39° 58.958′ N, 76° 9.662′ W. Marker is near Strasburg, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Marker is on Gap Road / Strasburg Road (Pennsylvania Route 741), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located in front of the Pennsylvania Railroad Museum. Marker is in this post office area: Strasburg PA 17579, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pennsylvania Railroad No. 7688 (a few steps from this marker); Pennsylvania Railroad No. 3750 (within shouting distance of this marker); Pennsylvania Railroad No. 6755 (within shouting distance of this marker); Strasburg Rail Road (within shouting distance of this marker); Lehigh Valley No. 40 (within shouting distance of this marker); Pittsburgh and Lake Erie No. 508 (within shouting distance of this marker); Reading Observation No. 1 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Monongahela Railway No. 67 (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Strasburg.
More about this marker. On the lower left is a photo captioned, No. 460 holds two young boys spellbound as she rests between runs near the end of her career. By the time they are old enough to act out their daydreams of highballing down the mainline, the steam locomotive itself will seem just a distant fantasy.
On the lower right is another photo of No. 460. Having just broken about every speed record in the books, the proud crew of the Lindberg Special poses with No. 460 at the end of the run on June 11, 1927.
Also see . . .
1. Pennsylvania Railroad's E6s Atlantic No. 460, The Lindbergh Engine. Article from the museum detailing the locomotive's history and heritage. (Submitted on June 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. A Tale of Two Memos. Charles Lindbergh and the Pennsylvania Railroad. (Submitted on October 31, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 851 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.