Near Strasburg in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Pennsylvania Railroad No. 3750
Perpetually searching for more powerful and efficient locomotives, the Pennsylvania Railroad introduced its new standard passenger power in 1914. The K4s Pacific blended the best attributes of other successful locomotives including the E6 Atlantic and earlier Pacific locomotives. A powerful and speedy thoroughbred, the K4s' quickly became the standard power for passenger trains, assigned to every division and schedule on the Railroad, from locals to mail and express, and even the "Blue Ribbon" fleet. It proved so successful that it outlasted most other classes of the Pennsy's steam power and worked along side the newer diesel-electric power until the last days of steam.
Builder: Pennsylvania RR, Juniata, PA
Build Date: March, 1920
Retirement Date: April 29, 1958
Wheel Arrangement: 4-6-2
Class: K4s "Pacific"
Number Built: 425
Weight of Engine: 160 tons
Length: (including tender) 84 ft.
Driving Wheel Diameter: 80 inches
Tractive Effort: 44,646 lbs.
Fuel Capacity: Coal: 22 tons, Water: 11,300 gal.
Boiler Pressure: 250 psi
PHMC Cat No. RR79.40.8
* Listed on the National Register of Historic Places *
No. 3750 spent most her her service life in relative obscurity, hauling commuters on lines east of Harrisburg. One highlight
After making her last revenue run in October of 1957, No. 3750 awaited the scrapper's torch in the West Philadelphia roundhouse. Fate intervened, however, in 1958. The first K4s No. 1737, which had been set aside for preservation, was badly deteriorated and could not be saved, so the PRR selected No. 3750 for preservation as part of their historical collection instead. In her place, no. 3750 was stripped of her identity and given No. 1737's number plate.
Disguised, No. 3750 remained with the PRR's historic collection in Northumberland, PA until it was moved to the Railroad Museum in Strasburg, PA, in 1969, where she was restored to her true identity. In 1987, Governor Robert Casey signed House Bill 1211 making the Pennsylvania Railroad's K4s the official state steam locomotive of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
(Banner at Bottom):
No. 3750 held the honor of pulling President Warren G. Harding's funeral train in 1923.
Erected by Pennsylvania Railroad Museum.
Location. 39° 58.961′ N, 76° 9.679′ W. Marker is near Strasburg, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Marker is on Gap Road / Strasburg Road (Pennsylvania Route 741), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located in front of the Pennsylvania Railroad Museum. Marker is in this post office area: Strasburg PA 17579, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pennsylvania Railroad No. 6755 (a few steps from this marker); Pennsylvania Railroad No. 7688 (within shouting distance of this marker); Pennsylvania Railroad No. 460 (within shouting distance of this marker); Strasburg Rail Road (within shouting distance of this marker); Reading Observation No. 1 (within shouting distance of this marker); Monongahela Railway No. 67 (within shouting distance of this marker); Lehigh Valley No. 40 (within shouting distance of this marker); Pittsburgh and Lake Erie No. 508 (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Strasburg.
More about this marker. On the lower left is a photo of a K4. Several different streamline designs were applied to K4's in the 1930s. While the shrouding made the engines look faster, the designs did little to actually reduce wind resistance and hindered maintenance on the locomotive.
In the lower center is a photo from the cap of the locomotive. The backhead of the K4 featured numerous gauges and appliances. The canvas curtain could be lowered to keep out the winter cold.
On the right is a photo of No. 3750. Adorned with somber black bunting, No. 3750 prepares to depart with President Harding's funeral train in 1923.
Also see . . . K4 Class Locomotives. Two representatives of "The Official Steam Locomotives of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania" are on display in museum. No. 3750 featured here with this marker. No. 1361 is on display at Altoona, Pennsylvania. (Submitted on June 14, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 14, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 827 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 14, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.