Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Galion in Crawford County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Big Four Depot

 
 
Big Four Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 6, 2009
1. Big Four Depot Marker
Inscription. This Depot, dedicated on December 27, 1900, served as division headquarters for the Cleveland, Chicago, Cincinnati, and St. Louis railroad, commonly called the Big Four. Peak passenger usage occurred during and after World War I when 32 trains stopped here daily. Railway Express serviced as many as 20 trains a day into the 1950s, and Galion became a “whistle stop” for presidential campaigns with speeches from the train platform from such candidates as Al Smith in 1928, Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1932, and Dwight D. Eisenhower and Richard Nixon in 1952. In 1929 the New York Central acquired the Big Four, which moved the division headquarters west to Bellefontaine in Logan County. The ticket office remained opened until 1964, but all railroad offices closed in 1969. The Depot was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
 
Erected 2003 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, City of Galion, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 9-17.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 40° 44.053′ N, 82° 47.049′ W. Marker is in Galion, Ohio, in Crawford County
Big Four Depot and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 6, 2009
2. Big Four Depot and Marker
Looking northeast.
. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Street and Harding Way East (Ohio Route 61), on the right when traveling north on Washington Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Galion OH 44833, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Galion Veterans Memorial / Flag Plaza (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); U.S.S. Constitution Cannon (approx. 2.2 miles away); Harding Birthplace (approx. 4.2 miles away); To the Memory of Colonel Wm. Crawford (approx. 4.4 miles away); Ohio Central College (approx. 5.4 miles away); Olentangy Battle (approx. 6.4 miles away); Seccaium (approx. 6.4 miles away); Knisley Springs Farm (approx. 7.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galion.
 
Categories. 20th CenturyIndustry & CommercePoliticsRailroads & Streetcars
 
Big Four Depot (west facade) image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 6, 2009
3. Big Four Depot (west facade)
Big Four Depot (east facade - trackside) image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 6, 2009
4. Big Four Depot (east facade - trackside)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 29, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 945 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 29, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement