Valdese in Burke County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Valdese Centennial Park
Legend of Plaques
Official Seal of the 100th
Celebration of the founding
From an agrarian beginning
through Industrial growth,
comes a bright horizon
Citizens Band together
for a better Community
Religious Freedom for all
"Faith of our Fathers living still"
Citizens of Valdese
Served in all branches
of Military Service
Founded on the belief that all men have the right to worship god as they please.
Motto in Latin-Translated: "The light shineth in the darkness" first appeared in 1640
Early development and hardship after first arrival
May 29, 1893
Old Rock School
A symbol today for community emphasis on education
Dedicated to the service of its citizens.
Monument erected for town's 50th anniversary
Location. 35° 44.581′ N, 81° 33.723′ W. Marker is in Valdese, North Carolina, in Burke County. Marker is on Main Street East (U.S. 70). Touch for map
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Waldenses (within shouting distance of this marker); The Waldensian Colony (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic Valdese Foundation Heritage Millennium Clock Tower (approx. 0.3 miles away); Rutherford College (approx. 2.1 miles away); a different marker also named Rutherford College (approx. 2.1 miles away); Camp Vance (approx. 4.8 miles away); Boughton Hospital (was approx. 6.2 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Sam J. Ervin, Jr. (approx. 7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Valdese.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Politics • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 30, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 986 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15. submitted on June 30, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.