Clemson in Pickens County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Old Tillman Hall Bell
This bell was originally hung in the Tillman Hall Clock Tower in 1905, where it faithfully tolled the hours until replaced by the carillon in 1985. During those so eventful years, it joyfully rang out for the graduation of 57,610 students, including the 293 graduates in the Class of '39 from the 517 men who had entered as freshmen four years earlier. After the old Guardroom Bell was removed in 1952, this bell was also rung to announce the beginning and end of classes, and to celebrate significant events in the life of the University.
The structure which enshrines the bell includes materials and design elements patterned after distinctive architectural details found in Tillman Hall.
Architect - William A. Carlisle, FAIA, Class of '39
Brick by Southern Brick Co., Ninety Six, SC
General Contractor - Zorn Construction, Co., Seneca, SC
Granite by Elberton Granite Finishing, Corp., Elberton, GA
whose outstanding contributions to the student body, the school, and the community
have been recognized by their peers as meriting this, their highest honor:
"The Class of '39 Award for Excellence"
Roll of Honor
1989 - Dixie Gooch Goswami
1990 - Joel Vincent Brawley, Jr.
1991 - John J. Idol, Jr.
1992 - Ashby B. Bodine II
1994 - Cecil Oates Huey, Jr.
1995 - Francis Anthony McGuire
1996 - R. Lawrence LaForge
1997 - Chalmers McNair Butler
1998 - Larry Lee Bager
1999 - Judith Mary Melton
2000 - Clifton Scott Miller Egan
2001 - Jerry Alan Waldvogel
2002 - Alfred F. (Hap) Wheeler
2003 - Douglas Kinly Sturkie III
2004 - Art Young
2005 - Benjamin Lee Sill
2006 - Donald M. McKale
2007 - Alma Bennett
2008 - William T. Pennington, Jr.
Erected by the Class of 1939 in grateful memory of their classmates who gave their lives in the cause of freedom. May their sacrifice be never forgotten.
James Harold Bracey: June 10, 1944
John Wallace Cathcart: May 3, 1945
Almo DeWitte Chapman, Jr.: July 23, 1945
Martin Crook, Jr.: September 7, 1944 Joseph Ralph Cunningham: December 7, 1945
William Henry Fraxier, Jr.: November 13, 1950
John Louis Gaskins: December 9, 1944
Clifford James Gormley: June 16, 1943
Robert Adams Guy: February 17, 1944
John Calhoun Hubbard, Jr.: May 20, 1945
John Thomas Lyles, Jr.: May 20, 1945
Joel McMillan: March 25, 1946
Clemons Carter Miley: June 16, 1943
Daniel Cary Morgan: May 23, 1944
Walter Scott Nelson, Jr.: July 11, 1943
Burrel Franklin Newman: June 11, 1943
Max Montague Nichols, Jr.: December 1, 1943
Joseph Bean Palmer: January 10, 1944
Daniel Townsend Pope: June 16, 1943
Henry Ayer Raysor II: January 12, 1944
John Edward Rowland: September 9, 1945
Francis Herbert Scarborough: January 27, 1945
Frank Howard Shirley, Jr.: November 15, 1942
Raymond Anderson Sloan: February 11, 1942
Denny Lewis Starr: June 25, 1944
James Tinsley Whitney: August 3, 1944
Erected 1989 by Class of 1939.
Location. 34° 40.767′ N, 82° 50.15′ W. Marker is in Clemson, South Carolina, in Pickens County. Marker is on Calhoun Drive, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located on the grounds of Clemson University, in the Carillon Gardens. Marker is in this post office area: Clemson SC 29631, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Class of 1943 Veterans (here, next to this marker); Thomas Green Clemson (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Quercus lyrata (Overcup Oak) (about 300 feet away); Integration with Dignity, 1963 Walter T. Cox, Jr. (about 400 feet away); Clemson College World War I Memorial (about 400 feet away); First Woman Graduate (about 500 feet away); Military Heritage Plaza (about 500 feet away); Outdoor Theater (Amphitheater) (about 600 feet away); And Then There Was War (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clemson.
Also see . . .
1. Tillman Hall. Tillman Hall is not the oldest building on the campus, but it is one of the most recognized building at Clemson. (Submitted on July 1, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Tillman Hall. Named for Benjamin Ryan Tillman, Governor of South Carolina, 1890-95; United States Senator, 1895-1918; life trustee of Clemson Agricultural College, 1888-1918 (Submitted on July 1, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Golden Tigers and Class of 1942 Cadet Life Garden. Marker and memorial to the Old Guardroom Bell. (Submitted on July 1, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. Clemson University Historic District #1. (Submitted on July 1, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
5. Benjamin Tillman. Benjamin Ryan Tillman (August 11, 1847 – July 3, 1918) was an American politician who served as governor of South Carolina, from 1890 to 1894, and as a United States Senator, from 1895 until his death. (Submitted on July 1, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. About Tillman Hall (1893)
This building is a three-story, rectangular, brick building with a hipped roof. Symmetrically placed slightly projecting, gabled-roof bays are at either side of a central, monumental, pyramidal-roofed clock tower at the facade elevation. Slightly projected, full-height, gabled-roof bays are present at the north and south elevations. The overall footprint of the building is approximately 130x140 feet. The building is set on a four-foot-high ranged ashlar granite base. The building features both double and single double-hung sash. Detailing includes Romanesque arches at the principal entrances, windows
Alterations and additions include the replacement of the original one-over-one wooden sash with one-over-one aluminum-frame doors at the entrances of the main building and chapel; and the introduction of firestairs and HVAC systems to the interior. A large, three-story modern brick building is attached to the rear of the building by a three-story hall corridor. (Source: National Register nomination form.)
— Submitted July 1, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
2. Facts about Tillman Hall
Originally named the Agricultural Building, the building was renamed in 1943 for Benjamin Ryan (“Pitchfork”) Tillman, S.C. governor, U.S. senator, and life trustee of the College.
Ben Tillman was instrumental in getting the legislation passed for the creation of Clemson College
The building was dedicated on July 18, 1891 when the cornerstone was laid. Items in the cornerstone included Thomas Green Clemsons diploma from the Paris College of Mines, specimens
The cornerstone was opened on April 1, 1988 during the centennial celebration. Many of the items were found to be ruined by water damage. A new time capsule was placed in the spot where the old cornerstone had been
After fire burned much of the building down on May 22, 1894, only a year after being built, it became the major education building and later the College's main administration building.
The building was re-modeled in 1980, but the first floor was left unchanged. The floors were left wide to show how cadets could walk to class in formation.
Home to the Eugene T. Moore School of Education and Air Force ROTC program
Also has an auditorium which is home to orientation events and organization meetings
Home to the Calhoun Honors College
Contains a bell tower clock which chimes every 15 minutes, as well as a 47-bell carillon, the largest carillon in the state. (Source: http://www.clemson.edu/visitors/cuvisit/handbook/buildings.html)
— Submitted July 1, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Education • Landmarks • Notable Buildings • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 1, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 3,213 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 1, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 7. submitted on December 6, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.