Fort Seneca in Seneca County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
to Brady's Island / to Battle Island
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
—Harrison-Shelby Marches —
Text on South Side :
Marches • 1813
- - - - -
Text on North Side :
Marches • 1813
- - - - -
Erected 1930 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number A1340.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission marker series.
Location. 41° 12.558′ N, 83° 10.049′ W. Marker is in Fort Seneca, Ohio, in Seneca County. Marker is at the intersection of Fremont-Tiffin Road (Ohio Route 53) and Township Road 1020 on Fremont-Tiffin Road. Touch for map. This marker is located adjacent to the Ohio Historical Marker, for Fort Seneca and beneath the P.M. Gillmor, Community Park, directional sign. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5865 Fremont-Tiffin Rd, Tiffin OH 44883, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Seneca (here, next to this Native American Habitation (approx. 1.2 miles away); Fort Seneca - Harrison Trail (approx. 2.2 miles away); Camp Ball (approx. 6.4 miles away); Fort Ball (approx. 6.4 miles away); State's First Female Lawyers (approx. 6½ miles away); Portage Trail (approx. 7.8 miles away); Seneca John, Noted Chief (approx. 7.8 miles away).
More about this marker. This historical marker is part of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series which was put in place in 1930 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Ohio's Revolutionary War era Battle of Piqua, by the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission.
In order to accomplish this, in 1929 the state of Ohio created the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, and then in 1930 this commission created 22 military trails, throughout western Ohio, between Cincinnati, Ohio on the state's southern border and Toledo, Ohio on the state's northern border. Each of these military trails represented the routes, or trails, used by military leaders during either the Revolutionary War, the Indian Wars, or the War of 1812. Each of these military routes
The routes of these military trails were in turn marked by type A and type B Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission markers that served as directional (type B) and distance (type A) markers. This particular marker is one of the type A markers of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series.
Originally, back in 1930, according to the ORMC 1931 Planning Report, there were erected some 168 of these Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, type A, markers. To date, I know of only 3 of these type A markers that have been located and posted on the Historical Marker database (markers A95, A96, and A1340). A large number of them are presently missing, but this particular marker is one of the few remaining type A, Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission markers.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System. A description of the Revolutionary Memorial Trail System developed by the state of Ohio in 1929 - 1930. (Submitted on November 17, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. Cartographic Map of the (Western) Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail, 1930. This (Submitted on September 4, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
3. 1931 'Biennium Report of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission'. This is a link to information provided by the Ohio War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission's website, regarding the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission's military trails system and trail markers. (Submitted on March 25, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 6, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 5, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,138 times since then and 89 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 5, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 6, 2017, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 6. submitted on September 4, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.