Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Anti-German sentiment during World War II prompted Schiller Park’s name to be changed to Washington Park; however, in 1930 the name was changed back to Schiller Park. Along with all of the historic landmarks of German Village, Schiller Park was entered into the National Register of Historic Places in 1974; in 2006 the White House designated German Village a Preserve America neighborhood. Beginning in 1988 a cooperative fundraising and planning effort between the Columbus Recreation and Parks Department, the Friends of Schiller Park, local German singing societies, and the German Village Society resulted in the restoration of Schiller Park to
Erected 2008 by German Village Society, Columbus Recreation and Parks Department and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 107-25.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 56.58′ N, 82° 59.65′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of Reinhard Avenue and South 3rd Street, on the right when traveling east on Reinhard Avenue. Touch for map. It is at the 3rd Street entrance to the park. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus OH 43206, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gold Star Mothers (about 700 feet away); Franklin County Soldiers of the Mexican War (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of First Ohio State Home Football Game / The Ohio State University First Football Team 1890 St. Mary Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Trinity Lutheran Seminary (approx. 0.4 miles away); Merion Village (approx. 0.6 miles away); Southwood Elementary School (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Also see . . . Schiller Park. (Submitted on July 10, 2009.)
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 10, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 873 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 10, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. 4. submitted on November 29, 2014.