Parris Island in Beaufort County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Fort San Marcos & The Ribaut Monument
Recent excavations reveal that this is the site of the Spanish Fort San Marcos that guarded the town of Santa Elena from 1577-1587. In 1996 the actual site of Charlesfort was found 200 yards north of here.
Erected by U.S. Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island.
Location. 32° 18.373′ N, 80° 40.533′ W. Marker is in Parris Island, South Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker is on Belleau Wood Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Parris Island SC 29905, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jean Ribault Monument (here, next to this marker); Fort San Marcos Charlesfort-Santa Elena Site (a few steps from this marker); The First Inhabitants (a few steps from this marker); Northern Most Known Bastion of Spanish Florida (a few steps from this marker); Aqui Estuvo España (a few steps from this marker); Parris Island Indians (within shouting distance of this marker); Parris Island Lighthouses (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Parris Island.
Also see . . . Charlesfort. Charlesfort was the first attempt by the French to settle the southeastern United States. Earlier French settlements along the St. Lawrence River Valley in present-day Canada in the 1530s and early 1540s and on the Brazilian coast in 1555 both failed. (Submitted on July 24, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 24, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,355 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on July 24, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 9. submitted on August 6, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.