Carson City, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
St. Peterís Episcopal Church
Carson City, Nevada
óNevada Historical Marker ó
The church was first occupied by its congregation on Sunday, August 9, 1868, with the Reverend George B. Allen officiating. Beginning in December 1873, additional construction work brought the edifice to substantially its present form and appearance.
On April 18, 1874, a public rental for 51 of the 56 new pews installed in the enlarged chancel was held. The remaining five pews were reserved for Nevadaís Orphan Home children (now the Northern Nevada Childrenís Home in Carson City).
The statewide slump in mining activities, 1878-1900, and the economic crisis which ensued, played havoc with most of Nevadaís churches, including St. Peterís. However, the period of stress weathered, and St. Peterís had grown steadily ever since. It continues to play an important role in Carson Cityís religious and secular life.
Location. 39° 9.942′ N, 119° 46.176′ W. Marker is in Carson City, Nevada. Marker is on North Division Street near West Telegraph Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. The Church is on the Southwest corner of North Division and West Telegraph Streets. Marker is located in front of the church, facing North Division Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 North Division Street, Carson City NV 89703, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Methodist Church of Carson City (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stewart- Nye Residence (about 600 feet away); Rinckel Mansion (about 700 feet away); Olcovich-Meyers House (about 800 feet away); Federal Government Building (1888-1970) (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pony Express Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); The United States Mint Carson City, Nevada (approx. 0.2 miles away); The United States Mint at Carson City, Nevada (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carson City.
More about this marker. This site was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on January 3, 1978.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 28, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,356 times since then and 129 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 29, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.