Virginia Beach, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
History of Thalia/Aunt Penny's Park
Aunt Penny’s Park. This private park is to honor John J. and Paula L. “Aunt Penny” Collins for their unique contributions to the community of Thalia. They established one of the very first commercial businesses in Thalia, pre-1950. Their “Cabins-in-the-Pines”, at 4145 Virginia Beach Blvd., encompassed a restaurant, tourist court, hardware store and an Amoco gas station They were devoted to the community of Thalia and gave unselfishly of their time in public service. Among other contributions, they played a leading role in establishing the first all-volunteer fire department in the City of Virginia Beach (formerly Princess Anne County) at Thalia in 1952. In 1990, Aunt Penny realized her lifetime dream with the development of Collins Square Shopping Center.
Location. 36° 50.495′ N, 76° 6.963′ W. Marker is in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Marker is on Thalia Station Drive south of Virginia Beach Boulevard (U.S. 58), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Virginia Beach VA 23452, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lake Trashmore Bank Stabilization (approx. 0.9 miles away); Seal of the City of Virginia Beach (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Pembroke Manor House (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Testing of Grace Sherwood (approx. 1.9 miles away); Francis Land House (approx. 2 miles away); Old Donation Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); Lynnhaven House (approx. 2.3 miles away); Princess Anne County Training School/Union Kempsville High School (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Virginia Beach.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 29, 2009, by Kristin Rollins of Portsmouth, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,244 times since then and 33 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on July 29, 2009, by Kristin Rollins of Portsmouth, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.