Fairmont in Marion County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
High-Level / Million Dollar Robert H. Mollohan Bridge
Erected 2004 by Main Street Fairmont and the West Virginia Division of Archives and History.
Location. 39° 29.042′ N, 80° 8.535′ W. Marker is in Fairmont, West Virginia, in Marion County. Marker is at the intersection of Jefferson Street and Washington Street, on the right when traveling east on Jefferson Street. Touch for map. Marker at the sidewalk, flat against the stone retaining wall for the A. Brooks Fleming House site. Marker is in this post office area: Fairmont WV 26554, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A. Brooks Fleming House (here, next to this marker); Fairmont (about 400 Marion County Courthouse (about 400 feet away); Boaz Fleming (about 400 feet away); Attack on Fairmont (about 600 feet away); Francis H. Pierpont Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Colonel George S. “Spanky” Roberts, USAF Memorial Bridge (approx. ¼ mile away); Battle for the Bridge (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fairmont.
More about this marker. There are two copies of this marker, one on each end of the bridge. This is the western historical marker. Look at the page for the eastern historical marker for more photographs and bridge construction information.
Regarding High-Level / Million Dollar Robert H. Mollohan Bridge. The 1921 bridge carried the tracks of the Monongahela Valley Traction Company, an electric railway that ran the streetcar
Also see . . . Monongahela West Penn Public Service Company. Excerpt from the 2000 book The Electric Interurban Railways in America by George W. Hilton and John Due.
“By far the most important West Virginia interurban was this large enterprise centered in the mountainous Clarksburg-Fairmont area. The Fairmont and Clarksburg Electric Railroad Company was begun to connect the two cities (25 miles) in 1901 and reported completed in 1907. The successor Monongahela Valley Traction Company extended the main line 24 miles from Clarksburg south to Weston in 1913. Branches from Fairmont to Mannington and Fairview were built in 1910 and 1911, respectively, and the company built a large number of short branches or spurs to mines and mining communities along the main line. The company provided street railway service in both Fairmont and Clarksburg. The main line was heavily graded and capable of handling railroad equipment; the company developed a small interchange of coal in hopper cars with the railroads.
“The Monongahela Valley Traction Company changed its name in 1921 to the Monongahela (Submitted on August 1, 2009.)
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 1, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,005 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 1, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.