Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pennsville in Salem County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Battery Commanderís Station

 
 
Battery Commanderís Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 12, 2009
1. Battery Commanderís Station Marker
Inscription. After the two 5-inch guns were removed in 1917, an observation station was built over one of the original gun emplacements. This structure, the battery commanderís station for Battery Arnold, was made of reinforced concrete at a cost of $850.00. It was partially concealed by the parapet wall. Power was supplied from the power plant and data transmission was done by telephone.

Second Marker:
Because technologies such as radar and aerial reconnaissance did not exist when Fort Mott was functional, observation stations, like this one and its counterpart at Battery Gregg, were the only means by which the movements of enemy vessels could be observed. The coordinates of a vessel would constantly be relayed from the observation stations to the plotting rooms. In the plotting rooms mathematical calculations were made so the large guns could be accurately aimed before firing. Because an enemy vessel may be within the firing range of all three forts but visible to only one at a given time, observation stations at the forts provided a system network.
 
Erected by State of New Jersey.
 
Location. 39° 36.257′ N, 75° 33.237′ W. Marker is in Pennsville, New Jersey, in Salem County. Marker can be reached from Fort
Marker in Fort Mott image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 12, 2009
2. Marker in Fort Mott
Mott Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located on the walking trail in Fort Mott State Park. Marker is in this post office area: Pennsville NJ 08070, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battery Edwards (here, next to this marker); Battery Krayenbuhl (a few steps from this marker); Ammunition Hoist (a few steps from this marker); Battery Krayenbuhlís 5-inch rapid fire guns (a few steps from this marker); Switchboard Room / Plotting Room (within shouting distance of this marker); Peace Magazine: † 1904 (within shouting distance of this marker); Generator Room (within shouting distance of this marker); Battery Arnold (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pennsville.
 
More about this marker. A blueprint of the Battery Commanderís Station appears on the upper right of the Battery Commanderís Station marker. The lower left contains a schematic of a Azimuth Instrument, and has a caption of “An Azimuth Instrument similar to this one was used as an observing tool.”
The top of the second marker features a 1922 diagram of the Delaware River coast defense of Battery Harker at Fort Mott, N.J.
 
Also see . . .  Fort Mott State Park
Delaware River Coast Defense Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 12, 2009
3. Delaware River Coast Defense Marker
This marker is located across from the Battery Commanderís Station marker.
. NJ Division of Parks & Forestry website. (Submitted on August 29, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesMilitary
 
Another Fort Mott Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 12, 2009
4. Another Fort Mott Marker
Battery Commanderís Station image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 12, 2009
5. Battery Commanderís Station
The Battery Commanderís Station was built on the location of one of Battery Krayenbuhlís 5-inch rapid fire gun emplacements.
View from Battery Commanderís Station image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 12, 2009
6. View from Battery Commanderís Station
This view from the Commanderís Station looks out over the Delaware River. The ferry boat dock can be seen in the photo.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 29, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 769 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 29, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement