Frankfort in Franklin County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Willis A. Lee, Jr., built a double two-story log house here in 1793. Tract of land on which the house stood was given to Lee by his uncle, Hancock Lee, founder of Leestown, the first settlement in Franklin County. In 1815 Lee erected a story and a half brick house, "Glen Willis," on same site and resided there until his death in 1824. See over.
In 1832 the Lee family sold "Glen Willis" to Humphrey Marshall, officer in Revolution, lawyer, extensive landowner, legislator, Federalist leader. In 1809 he fought a duel with Henry Clay over political differences. Marshall wrote one of the earliest histories of Kentucky. Died in 1841. House then bought and enlarged by Henry H. Murray.
Erected 1972 by Kentucky Historical Society, Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1444.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 38° 12.603′ N, 84° 52.291′ W. Marker is in Frankfort, Kentucky, in Franklin County. Marker is on Wilkinson Blvd south of Frazer Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 900 Wilkinson Blvd, Frankfort KY 40601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Franklin County Hemp / Hemp in Kentucky (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Great Buffalo Trace (approx. ¼ mile away); Leestown (approx. 0.3 miles away); Buffalo Trace (approx. 0.4 miles away); Buffalo Trace Distillery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Locks and Dams (approx. half a mile away); Buffalo Trace Distillery - - Warehouse C (approx. half a mile away); Dry Stone Masonry in Kentucky (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frankfort.
Categories. • Notable Persons • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,588 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 3, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.