Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tybee Island in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Fort Screven

←—

 
 
Fort Screven Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 17, 2005
1. Fort Screven Marker
Inscription. The Legislature of Georgia in 1786 passed a law providing for a fort on Cockspur or Tybee Island to be named in honor of General James Screven, Revolutionary War hero. It was never built by the state. In 1808 the Federal government obtained jurisdiction over the property on Tybee Island now known as Fort Screven Reservation. Actual title was acquired in 1875 and the post, established in 1898, was in continuous use from the Spanish-American War through both World Wars. Primarily a Coast Artillery fort, at one time Fort Fremont in South Carolina was under its jurisdiction. It became an Infantry post and finally a school for deep-sea diving. Many distinguished officers saw duty here, including General George C. Marshall as colonel in command. In 1945 Fort Screven was declared surplus by the War Department and acquired by the town of Savannah Beach.
 
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 025-58.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 32° 1.287′ N, 80° 50.647′ W. Marker was in Tybee Island, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker was on Meddin Drive 0.1 miles north
Fort Screven Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2011
2. Fort Screven Marker
of Veterans Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. The marker is in front of Battery Garland, now the Tybee Island Museum. The marker is separated from Meddin Drive by the Museum parking lot. The museum and marker are slightly northeast of the Tybee Island Lighthouse. Marker was at or near this postal address: 30 Meddin Drive, Tybee Island GA 31328, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Henry Sims Morgan (a few steps from this marker); Tybee Island (within shouting distance of this marker); Tybee Lighthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Screven Bakery (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Fort Screven (approx. 0.3 miles away); Federal Batteries on Tybee Island (approx. 1.6 miles away); A Turning Point In History (approx. 1.6 miles away); Long Range Artillery Duel (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tybee Island.
 
Regarding Fort Screven. A brief history of Fort Screven is at http://www.sip.armstrong.edu/Tybee/FortScreven.html
 
Also see . . .  Fort Screven. Short article about the history of Fort Screven. (Submitted on September 9, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.) 
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesWar, Spanish-AmericanWar, World IWar, World II
 
Fort Screven Marker near Tybee Lighthouse image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2011
3. Fort Screven Marker near Tybee Lighthouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 9, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,248 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on September 9, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2, 3. submitted on July 7, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement