Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Montross in Westmoreland County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Nomini Baptist Church

 
 
Nomini Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 30, 2009
1. Nomini Baptist Church Marker
Inscription. Nomini Baptist Church was established on 29 April 1786 with 17 members. By 1809 it was reputedly the largest Baptist church in Virginia with 875 members. The original meetinghouse, built nearby in 1790 on land donated by a charter member, Captain Joseph Pierce, was replaced in 1858–59 by the present brick church. During the past two centuries Nomini Baptist Church has had 27 ministers, beginning with Elder Henry Toler, and is considered the mother church of ten congregations in three counties.
 
Erected 1991 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number J-79.)
 
Location. 38° 4.258′ N, 76° 46.511′ W. Marker is near Montross, Virginia, in Westmoreland County. Marker is at the intersection of Kings Highway (Virginia Route 3) and Templemans Road, on the left when traveling east on Kings Highway. Touch for map. This marker is in the area of the county once called Templemans Crosssroads. Marker is in this post office area: Montross VA 22520, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Armstead Tasker Johnson School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Nomini Baptist Meetinghouse (approx. 1.3 miles away); The War of 1812 / British Landing at Nomini Ferry
Nomini Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 30, 2009
2. Nomini Baptist Church Marker
(approx. 3.1 miles away); Nominy Church (approx. 3.1 miles away); Private Tate, Buffalo Soldier (approx. 3.2 miles away); Old Westmoreland Courthouse (approx. 3.3 miles away); Vietnam War Memorial (approx. 3.3 miles away); Westmoreland County Confederate Monument (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Montross.
 
Also see . . .  Nomini Baptist Church. “In an era when Baptists in Virginia generally ranked low on the social scale, some notable and influential people gave aid and encouragement to those who were willing to be ‘counted for God’ as Baptists in Westmoreland county. Their moral and financial assistance made possible the advancement achieved in the early years of the church. The names most often appearing in this group are Hannah Ludwell Lee (daughter of Colonel Thomas Lee of Stratford Hall), Councillor Robert Carter (grandson of Robert ‘King’ Carter), Elizabeth Steptoe, widow of Frances Tasker Carter (wife of Robert Carter), Elizabeth Steptoe, widow of Dr. George Steptoe (a ‘lady of first rank’), and Sarah E. Peirce (wife of Captain Joseph Peirce, donor
Nomini Baptist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 30, 2009
3. Nomini Baptist Church and Marker
of the land which the first Nomini Baptist Meeting House was built).” (Submitted on September 10, 2009.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 10, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 878 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 10, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement