Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Pine Mountain in Harris County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Bethany Baptist Church

 
 
Bethany Baptist Church Marker (Side 1) image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 24, 2009
1. Bethany Baptist Church Marker (Side 1)
Inscription. SIDE 1:
Bethany Baptist Church was chartered on Sept. 8, 1828. The six charter members were James Garrett, Levin Collins, Uriah Jones, Lucy Garrett, Catherine Simmons and Mary Jones. The first pastor, John W. Cooper, served from 1828 to 1847. In 1847 the current building was constructed on a 7.5-acre parcel deeded by plantation owner, Joel Culpepper. Slaves attended with white families and were accepted as members. All “colored brethren” were granted letters of dismission in 1885 to constitute their own church, also named Bethany. In 1887, 37 members were granted letters in order to establish Chipley Baptist Church (now First Baptist Church of Pine Mountain).

SIDE 2:
The current Bethany Church was built in 1847. It is a small vernacular building in front gable form. An attached annex, added in 1972, replicates the form of the church. The interior retains beaded board walls and ceilings. Electricity was installed in the church during a revival in 1939, replacing four original oil lamps. The church has 23 memorial stained glass windows installed in 1962 and 1963. The adjacent cemetery contains graves dating from 1847 to the present. The church has also served as a school and farmers' grange. Bethany has been in continuous use as a church since its organization in 1828.
 
Erected
Bethany Baptist Church Marker (Side 2) image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 24, 2009
2. Bethany Baptist Church Marker (Side 2)
2008 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Friends and family of Hubert Champion (1913-2007) Bethany member for 77 years.
 
Location. 32° 51.251′ N, 84° 52.329′ W. Marker is near Pine Mountain, Georgia, in Harris County. Marker is on Bethany Church Road 0.3 miles north of Georgia Route 18, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Bethany Church Road runs north from its intersection with Georgia Highway 18, then turns west in .2 mile. The marker, church, and cemetery are just west of this bend. Marker is at or near this postal address: 285 Bethany Church Road, Pine Mountain GA 31822, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Iron Horse (approx. 1.3 miles away); Chipley - Pine Mountain, Georgia (approx. 1.3 miles away); The J.L. Hand Gazebo (approx. 1.9 miles away); Callaway Gardens (approx. 2.6 miles away); Franklin D. Roosevelt Memorial Bridge (approx. 3.8 miles away); Pine Mountain Valley Resettlement Project (approx. 4.8 miles away); Valley of Hope (approx. 4.8 miles away); Harris County (approx. 6.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pine Mountain.
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USChurches, Etc.
 
Bethany Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 24, 2009
3. Bethany Baptist Church
Showing 13 of the 23 stained glass windows from 1962-63.
Bethany Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 24, 2009
4. Bethany Baptist Church
Four of the 23 stained glass markers are more visible in this view
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 12, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,060 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 12, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement