Seattle in King County, Washington — The American West (Northwest)
—1989 Washington State Centennial —
Seattle’s first skyscraper opened on July 4, 1914. The 42 story Smith Tower was the tallest building outside of New York City and Seattle’s tallest for nearly fifty years. It was built by Lyman Smith of Smith-Corona and Smith and Wesson fame, from Syracuse, New York. Sheathed entirely in terra cotta, the building was designed by the Syracuse firm of Gaggin and Gaggin. In a race to construct Seattle’s tallest building, Smith also hoped to anchor the “Second Avenue Canyon” area as the center of downtown. He died before the tower was completed.
[Seal of the City of Seattle, 1889]
Erected 1969 by Historic Seattle, Museum of History and Industry, Pioneer Square Businesses, and King County.
Location. 47° 36.114′ N, 122° 19.915′ W. Marker is in Seattle, Washington, in King County. Marker can be reached from 2nd Avenue north of Yester Way, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 506 2nd Avenue, Seattle WA 98104, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Interurban Building (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Interurban Building (within shouting distance Pioneer Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Merchant’s Cafe (about 500 feet away); Carson D. Boren (about 500 feet away); The St. Charles Apartments (about 500 feet away); The Pioneer Square Pergola (about 500 feet away); Lou Graham’s Sporting House (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Seattle.
Also see . . .
1. Smith Tower. (Submitted on September 16, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Lyman Cornelius Smith. "... Although his family manufactured guns, they are not the 'Smith' from Smith and Wesson. ..." (Submitted on September 16, 2009.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 16, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,356 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 16, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.