Fortson in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Thomas and Elizabeth Almond settled in this area with her orphaned brother Thomas Daniel Fortson in the 1830s. In 1858, as a prominent farmer, Fortson built this Greek Revival Georgian Cottage, its surrounding outbuildings and cotton terraces. He also ran a gristmill on the nearby Heiferhorn Creek during the Civil War. His son, Thomas Willis Fortson, established a general store and was appointed Station Agent and Postmaster for Fortson, Georgia in 1885. The Fortson House has remained continuously in the family and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1999.
The Fortson Community
Originally called Blanchardís Crossing, this area was renamed Fortson in 1885 when the Columbus & Rome Railroad built a station on Fortson property. Thomas Willis Fortson established the Fortson General Store and Post Office, housed from 1904 in the brick building adjacent to the tracks. Luther Getzen Fortson operated the store and post office until 1963. Across the tracks from the store, the Getzen House, built in 1882 for T.W. Fortsonís sister, was the home of his in-laws, Samuel Luther and Fannie Mealing Getzen, who organized the Getzen Memorial Baptist Church in 1904.
Erected 2008 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Dr. and Mrs.
Location. 32° 36.411′ N, 84° 56.207′ W. Marker is in Fortson, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is at the intersection of Fortson Road and Almond Road, on the right when traveling north on Fortson Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11100 Fortson Road, Fortson GA 31808, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp McKenzie (approx. 2.8 miles away); Kingsboro & Cataula (approx. 5.2 miles away); “Blind Tom” (approx. 5.4 miles away); Samuel Cooper (approx. 5.9 miles away); Textile and Banking Pioneer (approx. 7 miles away); Richard Christmas (approx. 7.3 miles away); The Wire Road (approx. 8 miles away); Mountain Hill District Consolidated School (approx. 8.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fortson.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Notable Buildings • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 30, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,243 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 30, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.