Kenton in Hardin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Mad River Railroad
In 1832 a charter was granted by the State of Ohio for construction of a railroad between Sandusky City and Dayton. The right-of-way privileges included Hardin County. The first train, of the Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad, arrived in Kenton from Sandusky on July 14, 1846. The railroad was completed to Dayton in 1851. The depot on this site was erected in 1882.
Erected 1989 by The Country Connection Club and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 5-33.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 38.844′ N, 83° 36.696′ W. Marker is in Kenton, Ohio, in Hardin County. Marker is on Franklin Street (Ohio Route 309), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 322 W. Franklin Street, Kenton OH 43326, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort McArthur (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Hardin County Courthouse (about 700 feet away); "The Liberty Garden" (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kenton Hardware Company Hardin County Korean War Memorial (approx. 1.2 miles away); Hardin County War Memorial (approx. 1.2 miles away); Hardin County Viet Nam Memorial (approx. 1.2 miles away); Hardin County Ohio Civil War Soldier Monument (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kenton.
Categories. • Government • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 902 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.