Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Columbian Lodge No. 7, Free & Accepted Masons Columbus, Georgia
Numbered among the many prominent Georgians who have been members of Columbian Lodge: Col. James W. Fannin, Master in 1929, a martyr at Goliad in the War for Texas Independence; Mirabeau Bounaparte Lamar, editor, poet, soldier, statesman, hero of San Jacinto, and second President of the Texas Republic; Philip T. Schley, Grand Master of Georgia Masons 1836 through 1841 and again in 1843.
During its nearly 150 years of continuous existence as a vital influence for good, Columbian Lodge has furnished many outstanding citizens and brethren in the field of public and fraternal service.
Always steadfast in its adherence to the gentle philosophy of Freemasonry, Columbian Lodge No. 7 is the mother lodge of the Chattahoochee River Valley area.
Erected 1975 by The Educational and Historical Commission, Grand Lodge of Georgia, F. & A.M.
Location. 32° 28.061′ N, 84° 59.437′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is on 2nd Avenue north of 11th Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1127 2nd Avenue, Columbus GA 31901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Trinity Episcopal Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Confederate Memorial Day (about 300 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (about 300 feet away); First Baptist Church (about 400 feet away); Oglethorpe House (about 500 feet away); Kirven's Department Store (about 700 feet away); First Black Public School (about 800 feet away); City of Columbus (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Charity & Public Work • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 29, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 6, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,097 times since then and 38 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on October 6, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?