Vincennes in Knox County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Millstones from Emison Mills
The stones are one of three stands hauled by Thomas Emison from Georgetown, Kentucky, to Knox County, Indiana. In 1804, Emison built his home and Mill on Maria Creek.
Emisonís Mill was designed with room for three stands of millstones - two for corn, one for wheat - in addition to a sash saw for cutting timber. It was operated with oxen until 1807 when the court established Emisonís right to dam Maria Creek and construct an underpass water wheel. It was capable of grinding 25 barrels of flour and 100 bushels of corn a day.
The millstones continued in use at the original location until 1879 when the wheat mill was moved to Vincennes and named “Atlas Mills”. Shortly thereafter the steel roller process was installed, and the millstones were removed. The corn mill was moved to Vincennes in 1891 and named “Baltic Mills”, it has continued in operation to this day.
Location. 38° 41.125′ N, 87° 31.541′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Vincennes IN 47591, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sarah Knox Taylor (a few steps from this marker); Indiana Territory (a few steps from this marker); William Henry Harrison - & - Lewis & Clark Expedition (a few steps from this marker); "Grouseland" (within shouting distance of this marker); Samuel Thornton Scott (1777 - 1827 ) (within shouting distance of this marker); Vincennes University (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chief Tecumseh (about 700 feet away); The Baty Place (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vincennes.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 14, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 741 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on October 14, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.