Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
In 1854 twenty Columbus families banded together to form congregation B’Nai Israel, later known as Temple Israel, one of the first Jewish congregations in Georgia. For almost one hundred years religious services were held on this site, first in a wooden structure followed by a classical cathedral style edifice reflecting Synagogue architecture of that era. This two story brick Temple, built in 1886 was dedicated September 2, 1887. The last service held in this location was on March 8, 1958. The congregation then moved into a contemporary building on Wildwood Avenue.
Records exist of Jewish births, marriages, deaths and burials in Columbus following the city’s founding in 1828. In 1875, Temple Israel became a founding member of the Union of American Hebrew Congregations, the reform movement’s umbrella organization. Temple Israel has continuously functioned as a reform congregation with religious, educational and community outreach programs. The Temple’s 150th anniversary was celebrated in 2004.
This marker is dedicated in memory of Alan Friend Rothschild by his sisters and brothers.
Erected 2005 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Historic Columbus Foundation, Inc.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus GA 31901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Primus King and the Civil Rights Movement (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); First African Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Red Jacket (approx. 0.2 miles away); POW✯MIA Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Philip Trammell Shutze (approx. 0.2 miles away); Confederate Hospitals (approx. 0.2 miles away); Confederate Memorial Day (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. James AME Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Additional keywords. Synagogues
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 20, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 661 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 20, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?