Fennimore in Grant County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The "Dinky" was noted for its versatility, carrying farmers, fishermen, salesmen and school children, as well as the U.S. mail, milk, livestock, and other freight. The narrow gauge line was a remnant of a larger, 92-mile system in southwestern Wisconsin purchased by the Chicago and Northwestern in 1880. All except the Fennimore-Woodman line were converted in 1882 to standard (4-feet, 8 ½-inches) gauge.
Narrow gauge tracks once were scattered across the country, as railroad builders looked for economy in construction and equipment costs to reach remote areas. At the peak of narrow gauge operations, the state had 150 miles, some used in logging operations in northern Wisconsin, now all abandoned.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
Location. 42° 59.177′ N, 90° 39.345′ W. Marker is in Fennimore, Wisconsin, in Grant County. Marker is on Lincoln Avenue (U.S. 18) 0 miles south of 6th Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located at the Fennimore Railroad Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 610 Lincoln Ave., Fennimore WI 53809, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Gideons (approx. 9˝ miles away); The First Civil War Monument (approx. 10 miles away); Nelson Dewey (approx. 10.1 miles away); Old Rock Church (approx. 11.1 miles away); Crossing the River (approx. 11.7 miles away); Boscobel - A River Town (approx. 11.7 miles away); The River (approx. 11.7 miles away); Trade Links – River Borne (approx. 11.7 miles away).
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 23, 2009, by Gordon Govier of Monona, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 994 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 23, 2009, by Gordon Govier of Monona, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.