Marion in Marion County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Marion County / Marion Courthouse
The name was changed to Marion District in 1798 and to Marion County in 1868. The present lines were established by the withdrawal of Florence County in 1888 and Dillon County in 1910. The area is 480 square miles.
Erected 1972 by Marion County Historical Society. (Marker Number 34-5.)
Location. 34° 10.726′ N, 79° 24.027′ W. Marker is in Marion, South Carolina, in Marion County. Marker is on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marion SC 29571, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Francis Marion (within shouting distance of this marker); To the Dead and Living Confederate Soldiers Old Town Hall and Opera House (about 300 feet away); Marion Academy (about 700 feet away); Marion Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Marion Depot (approx. 0.4 miles away); Veterans Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); Veterans Memorial Triangle (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marion.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 25, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 677 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 25, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. 5. submitted on November 29, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.