Phoenixville in Chester County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Phoenix Iron Company
Established in 1783 and incorporated in 1855, the Phoenix “works” produced nails, rail, Civil War cannons, weaponry for 20th century wars, and structural steel. Among its well known products were the Griffen Gun, 1861, and the Phoenix Column, 1862. Closed in 1987.
Erected 2005 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Location. 40° 8.073′ N, 75° 30.988′ W. Marker is in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, in Chester County. Marker is on Main Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is about 250 feet SE of the Schuylkill River Heritage Center (2 N. Main St). Marker is in this post office area: Phoenixville PA 19460, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Phoenix Iron & Steel Company (within shouting distance of this marker); Symbols of Steel Sculpture Garden (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Phoenixville War Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Phoenixville Vietnam War Memorial (approx. half a mile away); American Legion Post 482 War Memorial (approx. half a mile away); The Griffen Cannon and Memorial Valley Forge General Hospital (approx. 1.9 miles away); Graceanna Lewis (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Phoenixville.
Also see . . .
1. Phoenix Iron Works. (Submitted on October 27, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Phoenix Iron Company - Behind the Marker. ExplorePAHistory.com (Submitted on July 14, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Military • Natural Resources • Notable Buildings • Railroads & Streetcars • War, Korean • War, US Civil • War, Vietnam • War, World I • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 27, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 985 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 27, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.