Near Elliston-Lafayette in Montgomery County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Montgomery County / Roanoke County
Area 401 Square Miles
Formed in 1776 from Fincastle, and named for General Richard Montgomery, killed at Quebec, 1775. The Virginia Polytechnic Institute is here.
Area 305 Square Miles
Formed in 1838 from Botetourt and Montgomery, and probably named for Roanoke River. General Andrew Lewis lived here. The city of Roanoke is known as the "Magic City" of the south.
Erected 1929 by Conservation and Development Commission. (Marker Number Z-105.)
Location. 37° 14.044′ N, 80° 11.595′ W. Marker is near Elliston-Lafayette, Virginia, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Roanoke Road (U.S. 11), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. On the Montgomery County / Roanoke County border just south of the Roanoke River. Marker is in this post office area: Elliston VA 24087, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bow String Arch Truss (approx. 1.8 miles away); Montgomery White Sulphur Springs (approx. 1.8 miles away); Fotheringay (was approx. 3.8 miles away but has been reported Fort Lewis (approx. 5 miles away); Colonial Mansion Site (approx. 5.1 miles away); Fort Vause (approx. 5.8 miles away); 9-11-2001 Memorial (approx. 6.2 miles away); Roanoke College (approx. 6.6 miles away).
Also see . . . Roanoke, Virginia, 1882-1912: Magic City of the New South. Roanoke is now more often called the Star City, due to its electronic star atop Mill Mountain. However, when this marker was erected ni 1929, Roanoke indeed was referred to as the Magic City of the New South. Read more about why in this book written by Rand Dotson and published by the University of Tennessee Press in 2007. (Submitted on November 4, 2009.)
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 29, 2009, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 440 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 29, 2009, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.