Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Stockton in San Joaquin County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Saint Mary’s Catholic Church

1861

 
 
Saint Mary’s Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, November 1, 2009
1. Saint Mary’s Catholic Church Marker
There is a twin marker on the reverse side.
Inscription. California’s first Archbishop, Joseph S. Alemany, laid the cornerstone July 21, 1861. The first mass was celebrated Christmas Eve of the same year. In 1870 the transept was added. The present steeple and ornate façade date from 1893. Saint Mary’s is the oldest Catholic parish in the San Joaquin Valley.

Stockton Historical Landmark No.1
Designated by the Stockton City Council 1971

 
Erected 1971 by City of Stockton. (Marker Number 1.)
 
Location. 37° 57.073′ N, 121° 17.241′ W. Marker is in Stockton, California, in San Joaquin County. Marker is on East Washington Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 203 East Washington Street, Stockton CA 95202, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. California Building (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stockton Savings and Loan Society Bank (about 800 feet away); Commercial and Savings Bank (approx. 0.2 miles away); Goddess of Justice (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ort J. Lofthus Crosstown Freeway (approx.
Saint Mary’s Catholic Church image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, November 1, 2009
2. Saint Mary’s Catholic Church
Marker is located behind the white canopy.

0.2 miles away); B & M Building (approx. ¼ mile away); The Compass Rose (approx. 0.3 miles away); Head of Navigation (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stockton.
 
Additional comments.
1. St. Mary's Catholic Church
St. Mary's Church (1861), 203 East Washington Street. The first Roman Catholic church in the San Joaquin Valley was constructed on two lots donated by Captain Charles Maria Weber on Washington and Hunter Streets. The location was ideal, due to its proximity to its primary population of Mexican, Spanish, Chilean, and French parishioners. The first church was a wooden structure, but the present brick Gothic design was dedicated in 1862. An additional to the north of the building was constructed in 1870, and the Gothic spire in 1893. Additional renovations were completed between 1945 and 1949. The adjacent parish is a two-story Classic Revival brick building constructed in 1905. The church used Washington Park, across the street, for religious festivities until it was replaced by the Crosstown Freeway in 1977. The building was added to the city register by resolution number 29,086 on June 1, 1971.
Source:
St. Mary of the Assumption Catholic Church, Stockton, California image. Click for full size.
Distr by Fritz Vibe Postcard Service-Sacramento, Ca., Color by Fred Shorthill
3. St. Mary of the Assumption Catholic Church, Stockton, California
Description on Postcard:
Built on the site of the oldest Catholic Church of the entire San Joaquin Valley (the original wooden “Gold Rush” church was built in 1851). The nave and tower were built in 1861; transept was added in 1869; the front entrance and spire, in 1893.
Wikipedia
    — Submitted November 2, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.

 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 29, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 1, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,792 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 1, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Paid Advertisement