Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Stockton in San Joaquin County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Commercial and Savings Bank

1915 and 1924

 
 
Commercial and Savings Bank Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, November 1, 2009
1. Commercial and Savings Bank Marker
Inscription. This ten-story Renaissance Revival Building was constructed in 1915 to house the Commercial and Savings Bank founded in 1903 by John Raggio. After a fire, the north portion was added in 1924. The property was purchased in 1929 by the Bank of Italy, later to become the Bank of America. State Savings, later becoming American Savings acquired the building in 1981. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

Stockton Historical Landmark No. 36
Designated by Stockton City Council 1985

 
Erected 1985 by City of Stockton. (Marker Number 36.)
 
Location. 37° 57.204′ N, 121° 17.164′ W. Marker is in Stockton, California, in San Joaquin County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and North Sutter Street, on the right when traveling west on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 343 East Main Street, Stockton CA 95202, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stockton Savings and Loan Society Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); California Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Goddess of Justice (about 700
Commercial and Savings Bank Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, November 1, 2009
2. Commercial and Savings Bank Marker
feet away); Saint Maryís Catholic Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Medico-Dental Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); B & M Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Compass Rose (approx. ľ mile away); Saint Johnís Episcopal Church and Guild Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stockton.
 
Additional comments.
1. Commercial and Savings Bank
This Beaux Arts-Renaissance Revival style building was built by Dietrich & Liestern Construction in 1915 for the Commercial & Savings Bank. After sustaining heavy fire damage in 1923, the building was repaired and doubled in size along the Sutter Street side. Later owners included the Bank of America and the Grupe Corporation. The building is #80000849 on the National Register of Historic Places and was added on November 25, 1980. The building was added to the city register by resolution number 85-0306 on May 13, 1985, and is currently home to the Cort Companies.
Source: Wikipedia
    — Submitted November 2, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El
Commercial and Savings Bank Building image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, November 1, 2009
3. Commercial and Savings Bank Building
Dorado Hills, California.

 
Categories. Industry & CommerceLandmarksNotable Buildings
 
The Top Floor image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, November 1, 2009
4. The Top Floor
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 2, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 659 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 2, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Paid Advertisement