Blackshear in Pierce County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 113-1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 18.39′ N, 82° 14.568′ W. Marker is in Blackshear, Georgia, in Pierce County. Marker is on U.S. 84 near Gordon Street (State Road 15 /121), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Blackshear GA 31516, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. General Blackshear's Military Road (approx. 0.2 miles away); Confederate Prison Camp (approx. Okefenokee Swamp (approx. 8.9 miles away); Ware Court House (approx. 9.2 miles away); Senator Nicholas Ware (approx. 9.2 miles away); The Wildes Massacre (approx. 9.4 miles away); Methodism Came To Waycross (approx. 9½ miles away); Ware County Georgia World War I Memorial (approx. 9.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blackshear.
Regarding Pierce County. Blackshear, the county seat of Pierce County, was named in honor of General David Blackshear (1764-1837). General Blackshear was responsible for commanding the troops that constructed Blackshear Road, a route between Hartford and the Flint River in the early 1800s.
Also see . . .
1. Franklin Pierce From Wikipedia. Franklin Pierce (November 23, 1804 – October 8, 1869) was the 14th President of the United States, serving from 1853 to 1857 (Submitted on November 3, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. New Georgia Encyclopedia. Pierce County (Submitted on November 3, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 3, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 896 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 3, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.