Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Beverly in Randolph County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Rowan House

 
 
Rowan House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, October 11, 2009
1. Rowan House Marker
Inscription. In 1811, John Goff sold this property with its one-story log house to Archibald Earle. William and Anna Rowan bought the property from Franklin Leonard in 1838. Rowan served as constable and deputy sheriff for over thirty years. He also operated a hat factory in Beverly. William's son Adam and his wife Phoebe Caplinger also lived in the home but took their family south during the Civil War. Upon their return, he was a merchant and a Justice of the Peace.

After the Civil War, a two-story three-bay frame I-House was built in front of the original log house. Later, a connecting ell was added forming one large house with clapboards covering the original logs.

"there was a hat factory, where you could have any kind of a hat made to order by William Rowan."
Thomas J. Arnold
"Beverly in the Sixties"

The bay windows may be a late 19th century addition and are matched by a similar treatment on the entry portico. The original log structure still exists as the back wing of this house.
 
Erected by Staunton Parkersburg Turnpike and Historic Beverly, W.Va.
 
Location. 38° 50.492′ N, 79° 52.546′ W. Marker is in Beverly, West Virginia, in Randolph County. Marker is on Water Street, on the right
Rowan House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, October 11, 2009
2. Rowan House and Marker
when traveling south. Touch for map. Located at stop 15 on the tour of Historic Beverly. Marker is in this post office area: Beverly WV 26253, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lemuel Chenoweth House (within shouting distance of this marker); Beverly Covered Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Occupied Beverly (within shouting distance of this marker); Adam Crawford House (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Campaign (within shouting distance of this marker); Beverly (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Beverly (within shouting distance of this marker); Blackman-Bosworth Store (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beverly.
 
Also see . . .  The Rowan House. Page from the Historic Beverly web site. (Submitted on November 14, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 14, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 659 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 14, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement